After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Wednesday 20 June 2018

A new round around Kaagersee

Bicycle: 29 km 
Riding time:  1:31 h
Total ascent: 49 m

Avg speed:  19.1km/h
Max speed:  33.5 km/h
Route: Leiden - Kaagersee - Leiden
Weather: Sunny and nicely warm, 18 C


After two days without riding, I had time again tonight to have a nice ride around Leiden. This time I nearly repeated a ride I had already done in mid-May, once around the Kaagersee. Many parts of this ride I had already done several times before, so I didn't need to stop a lot to get oriented. This probably contributed to the "high" average speed of 19 km. I think probably the highest average so far riding in the Netherlands. 

A part of the ride is on a windmill roundtrip, which I still haven't found detailed information on (probably need to buy some book...), well, there are a lot of windmills around:


The Kaagersee is a region dominated by water and without a lot of bridges, so this farmer needs to bring his big tractor back home on a very small ferry that is totally occupied with his tractor, "swimming" back to his home, which obviously is a windmill:



The way back from Kaagersee isn't specially nice as it follows for a long part a highway. But I didn't want to try to ride through Sassenheim, as I thought that it might be typical paved (i.e. bumpy) village roads. But the way towards the lake is always nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment