After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Sunday 10 June 2018

Lunch on Kaagersee with my husband

Bicycle:  20 km 
Riding time: 1:45 h
Total ascent: 42 m
Avg speed:  11.5 km/h
Max speed:  30.6 km/h
Route: Leiden - Kaagersee - Leiden
Weather: Sunny but with some fresh wind, 25 C 


Today in the morning my husband came back from a week in Argentina. It's his first weekend at home since many weeks, travelling too much through the world. Which may also mean that from tomorrow I wont have time in the evening to go out for a ride.

When I commented in the morning that the weather is going to be nice, his proposal was - surprisingly - to get out on a ride to somewhere close by. Surprising, as he dislikes cycling.

So after a late breakfast we set out on our old city bikes (his only bike and I was not going to use my good brompton, if he is on his old city bike). We rode out towards the Kaagersee. Had a first stop in a polder, with a windmill turning, some swans in the forefront, a Dutch flag undulating in the wind and KLM planes passing above. Only there was no rain, otherwise it would have been the quintessential Dutch experience.  


From there, after a few misunderstandings about where to turn right, we took the small ferry over the Zijl and continued on the other side out to the Kaagsociëteit. I had always stopped short of it, as it requires a ride on a small ferry that doesn't even allow bicycles. So I had no idea if it was a good place for lunch or not. But we were very nicely surprised by a nice lunch on the shores of the lake:


From there, he commented that he wanted to see more of the lake, so we went back and to an other spot with views of the lake. There we took out again our plaid and rested peacefully on the grass with our big bikes in the back ground:


Although it was really sunny today, it was also very windy and the wind was cold. So after some time it got a little bit too cold (specially for me who was NOT riding with long trousers and a (light) fleece jacket, but with a summer dress. So we set-off again direction home. I lost again my way, but this meant that we discovered a whole new street how to ride out to Warmond. And as you can see from the map, it was a really direct road back. 

An ice cream in town and back home to a lazy late afternoon at home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment