After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Thursday 7 June 2018

Climbing up to the highest point of South Holland

Bicycle: 29 km 
Riding time: 1:41 h
Total ascent: 80 m
Avg speed:  17.0 km/h
Max speed:  29.9 km/h
Route: Leiden - Wassenaar - Katwijk - Leiden
Weather: Gray and humid, but no rain, 13 C


After the nice ride yesterday through the dunes between Noordwijk and Katwijk and the nice way back, I decided to ride today again in the same direction, but to try and see if there are more dunes to cycle on beyond Katwijk. And there are. 

The ride out to them was nice as yesterday, but with much less people around (weather was worse, but not bad). Already at Wassenaar I became terribly hungry. No idea why, as I had lunch and even ate at least half a kilo of cherries... So well, I continued with my empty stomach and today it was even hilly, as I was riding towards the highest point of all South Holland, the Vlaggeduin (well, okay, I realize the name of this place does not really convene the idea of hight. But I didn't choose it).

Here some pictures from one of the several hights that I climbed today:


Well, it was quite foggy, so probably the highest part is hiding somewhere. 

Before I came to the dune, there was even a forrest. Also a strange sight in the Netherlands.


On the way back I got again lost. Well, not really lost, but I did not follow the road that I actually wanted to follow. Somehow at km 18 I convinced myself that continuing straight must be the wrong direction, so I turned left... and thus I didn't make it to N206. Later on, probably around km 20 I was riding through an area that I recognized from yesterday (and some previous trips to Katwijk) and I thought it would be easy now to find the main street to Leiden... but I failed again. BUT this time (similarly to yesterday) this was actually a nice error. Not so far as yesterday, but I discovered a cycling route through Katwijk that leads one quite close to Leiden without needing to follow N206, which is a busy street (plus its dedicated cycling lane), but essentially one is cycling along side a lot of cars (at least that is what I remember from the one time, many months ago that I actually found it). But that route a little bit to the North of N206 is much nicer.





No comments:

Post a Comment