After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Wednesday 6 June 2018

To the beach!

Bicycle: 34 km 
Riding time: 2:00 h
Total ascent: 77 m
Avg speed:  17.1 km/h
Max speed:  40 km/h
Route: Leiden - Noordwijk - Katwijk - getting lost near Wassenaar and back to Leiden
Weather: Sunny and nice again, 16 C


Again, nice weather, again on the bike! I don't know if this year is a specially good year weatherwise in the Netherlands, or if it is all a prejudice that it is raining every day in the Netherlands. But this year, I cannot really complain. February and March I remember as very sunny (and freezing cold) and now since at least mid May it is nice, warm, sunny and the days with rain are few.

For a change today my ride went to a new direction, towards the beach at Noordwijk. The ride out of the city from about km 5 wasn't that nice, as the lane was paved (not asphalted), but well. But then there is the beach:


Noordwijk is actually quite a touristic place, with a  lot of ugly hotel buildings.

After a brief stop on the beach I continued my ride and this second part of the ride was definitely great. The best part must be the ride through the dunes between Noordwijk and Katwjik. On a perfect cycling lane on top of the dune.


Which is also one of the highest places in South Holland. I think the highest is actually a dune a bit to the South of Katwijk and I think not accessible, but even this one here is quite high and has quite some up-and-down. Well, for the Netherlands. Not for any other normal country. And a lot of cyclists seem to use these "hills" for training.


The dune ride is actually not very long, about 4 km.

Also the way back to Leiden was quite nice, also thanks to getting lost. Actually I had decided to ride back to Leiden on the straightest line... but as you can see from the map below, I did not succeed in this. One wrong turn!

However the road to Wassenaar but also from Wassenaar to Leiden was great. Nicely asphalted, not a lot of bicycle traffic, bicycle lanes all the way and through nice quiet countryside. I was actually a bit surprised as I remembered the straightroad from Katwijk to Leiden as not being so nice (just being a major road with a cycling lane besides it). So I was actually quite surprised to see that my memory was incorrect... but actually only my sense of orientation was incorrect. Well, thanks to getting lost I got a 2 h, 34 km "hilly" ride. 


No comments:

Post a Comment