After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Tuesday 12 June 2018

Riding over the dunes by Wassenaar

Bicycle:  36 km 
Riding time: 1:59 h
Total ascent: 92 m
Avg speed:  18.2 km/h
Max speed:  32.8 km/h
Route: Leiden - Kaagersee - Leiden
Weather: Sunny, some clouds and fresh, 13 C 


Today I finished work early and set out for an other ride to the coast, thinking that there might be yet an other part of the dune between Nordwijk and Den Haag that I hadn't yet done. And rightfully so.

I first went to Wassenaar on the same route that I had found loosing my way a few days ago and then did continue versus the sea, but this time turning to the left instead of turning towards Katwijk. Surprisingly the landscape is actually quite different. "Hilly" as towards Katwijk but one is farer away from the sea, and the landscape somehow is slightly less "dunes-like", being a dune though. There are even a number of nice small lakes in the middle of it.


The path here on the dunes isn't asphalted, but the pavement isn't too bumpy... although in the long run after many km it gets a bit tiring.

One could continue on this path further South towards Den Haag, but I turned back to Wassenaar, which brought me through a long strip of forrest. Not a common sight in the Netherlands. And then back to the South end from Wassenaar from where I returned to Leiden. Getting into the city I tried a slightly different way from km 30 onwards. That way is also okay. Not yet sure which way is better to get out of the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment