After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Friday 29 June 2018

Silverroute

Bicycle: 29 km 
Riding time:  1:40 h
Total ascent: 29 m
Avg speed:  17.2 km/h
Max speed:  28.1 km/h
Route: Leiden - Voorschoten and back on the Zilverroute
Weather: Sunny, 15 C


After yet an other exhausting work day (today not that many TCs... but a lot of other things to do) some nice evening ride. I started without a real plan where to ride, and just thought that I would follow some signs I found on the road. Well, that explains the strange form of the ride today.

At about km 2 I actually wanted to ride to knooppunt 2 (which is likely around km 7.4) but didn't take the right turn and ended up going somewhere else, on a nice bicycle "highway". At some point of that highway I arrived to a very nice looking river (km 4.5) and I decided to follow that, only to find out pretty quick that it would lead me straight back to Leiden. So I turned back and found an intriguing sign for the "Zilverroute":


There is a number of these routes around Leiden. Windmills, Silver, Limes, Landscape, ... and for some some more. I have yet not had any luck finding them on the internet and suspect that they are only published in some book. They are also not on the ubiquitous knooppunt maps.

So I decided to try and see where this Zilverroute would lead me. And it resulted in a very nice ride, specially in the South-West direction. On a real bicycle highway, but through green fields and houses.


At some point the tour started turning back to Leiden, and I returned as well. I think that in Voorschooten at some point I must have lost the route, as there wasn't any indication for a long time, until out of the blue the indication was there again. In Leiden I again continued on the route, but the last time I saw any indication of it was at km 23.5. I obviously had decided by then to return to Leiden. So no idea if the route just stopped there. At km 26 I found again signs, of the same type of cycle routes, but now for windmill route. So there I knew for sure that I was no longer on the Zilverroute... but at least I am back home. I am also wondering what I was actually supposed to see special on a "Silver" route. It could have been any landscape route I guess, but Silver?



Tomorrow cherry route...


No comments:

Post a Comment