After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Thursday 28 June 2018

Short evening ride exploring new paths in well trotted territory

Bicycle: 18 km 
Riding time:  1:04 h
Total ascent: 22 m
Avg speed:  16.4 km/h
Max speed:  35.4 km/h
Route: From Leiden to the South end of Kagerplassen
Weather: Sunny, 19 C


After a day full of teleconferences (6 in total) I only managed to start my evening ride shortly before 21:00, so it wasn't so long, but still nice to get out and riding around a bit.

From about km 2 to 4 I was chasing some (very slow) racing bike riders who pedalled away relatively leisurely, and I kind of raced behind them. Still kind of okay speed, but not doable for me for a long time. But it brought me 3 new personal records in Strava on a path I had ridden before.

Well, after a while they became faster (I like to assume that that was the case and not that I became much slower... although that is probably more likely what has really happened), so I broke off an had a brief stop at a lake that I had always only seen from the bike lane but never really approached its shore.


Then I decided to ride to Kagerplassen and actually decided to ride to slight different place, i.e. on the other side of one of those many rivers... but forgot that there is no bridge and the ferry at this hour in the evening is no longer working. So I just drove around a bit at the Southern end of the lake, taking in some very Dutch landscape ...


... and even riding between cows.


no fence there.

Riding back I rode through a few new lanes in a residential area and came finally back just before 22:00.

More tomorrow, hopefully, if meetings allow for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment