After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Tuesday 15 May 2018

First ride around Kagerplassen

Bicycle: 38 km 
Riding time:  2:15 h

Total ascent: 48 m
Avg speed:  16.7 km/h
Max speed:  34.2 km/h
Route: Leiden - Kagerplassen - Leiden
Weather: Sunny, 17 C


After a first short ride yesterday evening, kind of the first this year. Not really, but kind of. Today I did NOT forget to bring a bottle of water. I was so used to the ubiquitous vending machines in Japan, that I totally forgot to bring something to drink. And riding without drinking isn't really good. So today,  armed with a bottle of water I set out in the same general direction as yesterday exploring the Kagerplassen. 

I first rode out straight to the lake itself on a very nice small road running along the water, until I came to a dead end. Well dead end yes, but at least there was ice cream on sale:


After a very nice stop on this kind of terrace on the lake, I rode a little bit back. I tried a first road to the left, but after a few meters was stopped by breeding birds, which seem to be able to breed only in solitude:


So even a bit further back, but then found a road that would lead me up. There were quite a lot of racing cyclists around on that path, and I have to admit it is a really nice ride around the lake, at least until about km 25. After that the cycling road is alongside a major highway. Well separated from it, we are in the Netherlands after all, but still no longer in the idyllic countryside. 

This concluded my first longer ride in the Netherlands this year! Looking forward to many more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment