After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Thursday 31 May 2018

New 40 km record thanks to getting lost

Bicycle: 45 km 
Riding time: 2:32 h
Total ascent: 67 m
Avg speed: 17.8 km/h
Max speed: 30.2 km/h
Route: Leiden - circle around Brassemermeer and back to Leiden
Weather: Sunny and warm, 20 C

After several days not on my bike today, I finally managed to escape from work early enough to get into the saddle. I decided to do a bit of a longer ride in a direction that I already knew, but this time riding once around the Brassemermeer. I had looked on the knooppunt map and thought that one could ride around pretty close to the shore... This did not count with the fact that one bridge, wasn't a bridge, but probably a small ferry. No idea if it didn't ride any more in the evening, or if simply as I expected a bridge, I hadn't even looked for it. Well, that first error was responsible for the extra km between km 15 and 21. Easily visible on the map below in the big square on  the upper end of the lake. But it was a nice ride, and no hills ;-) I even very briefly made it to North Holland!

At about km 22 I took this picture, of one of the typical (nowadays oversized) Dutch brick churches. Thinking that this would be more or less half the way and now back home.


Well, I didn't count for an other routing error between km's 33 and 38 on the map below. No idea what has happened there, but at a certain point, the road was simply going in the wrong direction. But well, again no hills ;-) Only more km's for my legs. But the weather was really nice. Initially a bit warm, but later on getting fresher. But never even close to cold.

The ride in itself was really nice, with most of the bicycle lanes nicely asphalted, normally far away from major traffic and through, well, nice Dutch landscape riding home in the sunset.

As I didn't stop a lot on route (the first third approximately I already knew), then I wanted to just cycle on and on the return I thought I knew my way... but apparently didn't even managed to achieve a all-time personal record of the fastest 40 km.


No comments:

Post a Comment