After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Monday 14 May 2018

First ride - forgot the water

Bicycle: 13 km 
Riding time:  0:54 h
Total ascent: 38 m
Avg speed:  14.5 km/h
Max speed:  25.2 km/h
Route: Leiden - Warmond - Leiden
Weather: Sunny, 14 C


Long time, no ride... But today I set out to have a ride out of the city, exploring for nearly a first time the surroundings of Leiden by bicycle.

And well, as with all first experiences there were a lot of things that could be improved:

  • forgot to bring something to drink! Really an error of a rookie, but I am just WAY too used to the vending machine paradise of Japan  
  • Also forgot to charge the Garmin device. Probably hadn't charged it since my last day in Fukuoka back in November. 
  • Forgot Strava login details, so needed to record the second part of the ride with MapMyRide app. Does work, but is inconvenient as one needs to manually import it into Strava. 
Essentially the water problem did cut this first ride quite short. I didn't really have a specific objective, which is probably very clear by looking at the below map which seems to be erratic at best, but this was simply because I decided to follow a sign for a scenic ride (I think something about boats), which is a bit erratic. When I came to Warmond I realized more and more that something to drink was missing. But no vending machines. No conbini. So I checked Google maps and found a supermarket not too far... but alas, it was 5 after 20:00... and it had closed at 20:00. So nothing to drink in the water desert of the Netherlands. So well... I rode back home. 

But still, good "re"learning and more rides to follow shortly. Then with appropriate supplies. 




No comments:

Post a Comment