After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Sunday 27 May 2018

Getting lost and bumping around - near Leiden

Bicycle: 22 km 
Riding time: 1:23 h
Total ascent: 22 m
Avg speed: 15.8 km/h
Max speed: 25.2 km/h
Route: Leiden - Oegstgeest - Rijnsburg - nearly Voorhout and back to Leiden
Weather: Cloudy and humidly warm, 20 C

Earlier in the day it was a bit raining, but now in the afternoon the chance of rain per my new weather app (Buienradar) was minimal so I set out to a ride. My plan was more or less to ride to Oegstgeest - Noordwijk - Sassenheim and back to Leiden, but already at Oegstgeest I lost my way (well, I didn't really "have" a way, but I still lost it. I wanted to ride along from one knooppunt to the next... but well, didn't see the turn and turned in a completely wrong direction.)

This in itself would not really have been a problem, as I did not have any special objective for this late afternoon ride, but I ended up riding quite a lot of the time through small cities. And unfortunately quite often in towns the bicycle paths are not asphalted but rather paved with stones... which simply doesn't make for a smooth ride.

I know I am complaining here on a high level. In Japan I would have been thrilled to have such nice cycle lanes... but getting spoiled is very easy.

I continued on and at about km 10 refound my way and also a bicycle path through the countryside that was better to ride... and where I stopped to take this picture of animals standing around in the landscape:


An activity to which a lot of Dutch animals are very prone. 

But I am not a Dutch animal so I cycled on and then at around km 15 returned back home to Leiden, along a cycle path that was better to ride (asphalted) but not so nice, as it was just alongside a mid-size road.

Well, not the best rides possible around Leiden, but still, a ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment