After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Saturday 14 July 2018

Quick ride out to Kagerplassen

Bicycle: 15 km 
Riding time:  0:57 h
Total ascent: 28 m
Avg speed:  15.7 km/h
Max speed:  28.1 km/h 
Route: Leiden - Kaagerplassen - Leiden
Weather: Sunny and warm, 21 
C


This weekend we had a friend from Palermo, now living in Brussels come over for the weekend. When picking him up at the station, Matteo suggested to put the brompton in the box on the handlebar of my city bike. I didn't believe that this would work, but actually it fitted just about, but good enough to ride to the station, unpack there and then have 3 bikes, so that we could ride back home.

In the morning we then did a walk through Leiden, including a few of the hofjes. In the afternoon while everyone else was sleeping happily away on their siestas, I prepared the sweet for the dinner invitation, which freed me up for a short ride in the evening. Our friend also wanted to come along, so we left my husband in the kitchen to prepare the dinner (definitely what he prefers... he would have kicked us out anyway) and went for a quick ride out to Kaagerplassen up to the end of the road, where we relaxed a bit looking at the water and all the passing boats. Before heading back home, where just in front of the house I discovered that my poor husband had been trying to reach me for the last hour as he had run out of olive oil... luckily this lack had a quick fix and the dinner party could start as planned. (Well, I arrive a bit late from the shower, with all guests already here. Still need to get used to Dutch punctuality. In Spain it would have been quite impolite to arrive at the hour of the invitation. Hosts are never ready by then). But no such considerations for hosts in the Netherlands ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment