After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Friday 13 July 2018

Afternoon ride to Boskoop

Bicycle: 50 km 
Riding time:  2:55 h
Total ascent: 64 m
Avg speed:  17.1 km/h
Max speed:  28.8 km/h 
Route: Leiden - Boskoop - nearly Bodegraven - Alphen - Leiden
Weather: Sunny and quite warm, 20 C



Today I decided to stop working quite early (around 16:00) after a week travelling (to Madrid) and working long hours nearly every day. And then set off for a ride out. I hadn't really a specific idea where to go, until about 10 m after I left home when I thought, that I could try for Boskoop. I had never been there, but the cities name obviously sounds juicy

I looked at the street signs and found easily some for Alphen aan den Rijn and decided that on the way I would find further signs for Boskoop. 

Here is where I turned away from the Rhein and off towards Boskoop: 


The way to Boskoop was very well indicated. Around Boskoop the number of tree nurseries went up spectacularly and it seemed that the city council had instated a law mandating a well groomed and designed front garden or face death penalty (or at least eternal ousting from the neighbourhood association). Each garden was a show room and many houses on the back end had a tree nursery attached. 

Per Strava it was 20 C on average, but that must be an average which does not account for the local climate in Boskoop where it was really hot, and that although it was probably already past 18:00 when I was there. 

In the centre of the village is an interesting bridge


Then I looked at my map and decided not to continue to Gouda, also because it was getting later and it was still quite hot, so I thought that returning would be a good idea. I had thought to ride to Bodegraven and then along the Rhein back, but finally turned briefly before through a nice landscape including this long and shaded avenue:


I would say that the entire ride until Alphen was very nice. In Alphen itself I got lost (not for the first time, grrrr....), although I tried following the street signs for Leiden, but somewhere I must have assumed straight when it was right. 

While riding (well, while stopping during the ride) I was messaging my husband where I was and at some point I told him that I'd be home before 21:00, to which he replied "Okay, we'll meet after the theatre at home"... um... I had totally forgotten about it. But at that moment I was in Alphen at yet an other vertical lift bridge ...


... and nothing I could do about it anymore to arrive in time for the 20:00 theatre performance. 

So here just a bridge performance: 


Which was probably better than the theatre performance anyway from which my husband returned with nearly an hour delay (there was a discussion about the piece afterwards) and quite annoyed at it (hopefully not at me). 

When I finally found the way home from Alphen, I just stopped one more time to get a picture of this  factory slowly falling apart, inappropriately named "Nieuw Werklust"




No comments:

Post a Comment