After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Wednesday 15 September 2021

TdE - Day 33 Saarbrücken - Kitzing (DE->FR)

Route: Saarbrücken - Saar - Kitzing
Distance: 70 km
Elevation: 386 m
Duration: 3:55 h
Weather: Rainy, sometimes dry, not cold, 18 C 


After the nice (and long) ride along the canals yesterday, today a shorter ride through the most depressing parts of Europe I have visited in this Tour d’ Europe. The Saar: 


The cycle path follows the Saar river, but so does the train, the highway and all the heavy industry. 


It didn’t help that today was one of the few rainy days, although it wasn’t actually that bad. Only about 15 minutes already at less than 15 km from my B&B did it rain a bit more. 

As I had planned a relatively short ride today, because of the long ride yesterday, the weather and the incline, I started late. Nevertheless I was in Saarlouis which on the map looked like a potentially interesting city for early lunch. 

And well, it might have been an interesting city when it was built as it was a fortified city build by Vauban, the same architect as Neuf Brisach that I visited only a few days ago in Elsass, but during too many wars Saarlouis got destroyed too many times. And the fact that someone thinks that using the central place of the city as a huge parking lot is a good idea also tells a lot about the current situation of this town. It seems, like other parts of the Saarland I passed, stuck in the 1970s at best. 



Anyway, I had something to eat and bought also two bagels for tonight, because when I booked my accommodation for tonight I only checked where it is located and the rating on booking.com, but forgot to check if there was a place to eat close by, and there isn’t. Kitzing is in a rather god forlorn part of France. 

But at least it is in the countryside… and close to a castle:

But tomorrow into a new country and a big city: Luxemburg!


No comments:

Post a Comment