After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Wednesday 8 September 2021

TdE - Day 26 Heiligkreuztal - Hausen im Tal

Route: Heiligkreuztal - Sigmaringen - Donau - Hausen im Tal
Distance: 47 km
Elevation: 409 m
Duration: 2:49 h
Weather: very sunny and again a bit hotter, 13 - 30 C 


Looking at the stats it seems that it must have been an easy day, but with the heat in afternoon, the gravel which was sometimes very loose and the elevation, which was mainly continuous up and down, it wasn’t so easy as it looks on paper. 

But I hadn’t planned too much riding today anyway, so I was able to complete everything just as planned. Including an nearly 4 hour visit to Sigmaringen, a city I had never heard about but that seems to be very important for German history, as one of the Hohenzollern family parts had their main castle there:

The origins of the castle are medieval, but most of what one can see now, was build in the 19th century after a devastating fire. 


And although there were not THE Hohenzollern (I.e. the emperors of Germany), they sure wanted to impress everyone. 

I did an audio guide tour through the castle, because the official guided tour had left shortly before my arrival. I did run into them several times, but it sounded like the guide was essentially saying the same as the audio guide. 

After the visit, I had lunch on the main square of the town, then bought some birthday cards for my mother and Matteo , wore them, posted them and then around 14:30 departed again along the Danube, which is becoming an ever smaller river. 


Again the landscape is very nice. I am getting so spoiled. Not sure I will be able to cycle with the same joy through the Dutch polders when I am back…


No comments:

Post a Comment