After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Sunday 5 September 2021

TdE - Day 23 Dillingen - Ulm

Route: Dillingen - Donau - Oberelchingen - Ulm + Wiblingen 
Distance: 68 km
Elevation: 238 m
Duration: 4:25 h
Weather: very sunny and warm, 8 - 30 C 


As the weather forecast was again very hot, I decided yet again to get an early start. On my hotel sich early breakfast wasn’t possible, but getting a lunch packet prepared the evening before was possible, so I had a part of my lunch packet as breakfast and the rest during the day. 

I managed to get riding even before 8:00!

The first sightseeing point of the day was this partially reconstructed, Roman temple, reminding us that the Danube was already an important region in the Roman Empire.


When I descended a bit later into the floodplains of the Danube I again for a short time in the cold morning mist.


For my second breakfast I found a still closed Biergarten on the shores of the river:



The cycling path in the heat along the river:


My next goal of the day was Oberelching and its baroque church…



But for me the highlight of this place was not the church, but rather an extremly relaxing bench on a public terrace overlooking the entire plain of the Danube and, at least theoretically, looking into the Alps (but not today, as the air was too moist). The bench was hanging under a big tree, gently rocking in the wind.



I spent some good time on that bench, had the rest of my lunch package and finally restarted for the last few kilometers into town. 

I took some rest in the hotel and only later in the afternoon I road  the last few kilometers out to Wiblingen, another baroque monastery…

… with a huge and well decorated library:



While visiting the library I had the distinct feeling that I been here before, and Matteo when I sent him some pictures though so too, but I have absolutely no recollection when I were in this region of Germany, apart from the visit to Blaubeuren with my mother when I was a child… but more about that tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment