After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Friday 3 September 2021

TdE - Day 21 Streudorf - Wellheim

Route: Streudorf - Altmühl - Dollnstein - Wellheim 
Distance: 78 km
Elevation: 275 m
Duration: 3:48 h
Weather: Sunny, not a single cloud, hot, 22 - 30 C


Today’s plan was to ride to the Donau, and well, in a certain way I arrived to the Donau valley, only that the Donau is no longer here, since the Pleistocene… Wellheim where I am sitting now in my accommodation for the night is in a valley that the Donau carved millions of years ago, but the geology had other plans for the Alps and the Donau needed to change its path. But the valley stayed, however now without any river…

… and instead a lot of rocks:

But the day started about 70 km away in a very different part of the Altmühl valley, with the lake:

And still some morning dew in the grass and on the spiderwebs:

Initially the valley was quite wide and to my surprise it seemed an important train route, including for ICEs, but probably not surprising, seeing on the map that it is between Augsburg and Nürnberg. I just very clearly don’t know anything about this region. 


I thought that I had a good plan against the heat today. Start early (well, I really only started at 9:10), cycle until about 14:00, and then take a long and shady rest somewhere cool and restart around 17:00 for the last 40 km or so. But really it got too hot much earlier than I thought and the rock formation seemed to make the valley even hotter.


So I took about an 1 hour break in a bakery in Dollnstein, had a salad and some cold drinks and booked my accommodation for tonight just a few kilometers down the road. I was able to cool down and then restart again after 15:00 for the final 10 km of the day. 

After arriving here I took a bit more of a break and then walked up to the castle ruins that dominate the village…

And from where one has a nice view of the surroundings:


For tomorrow I will try aging the plan to start early and stop for a long afternoon break before continuing later in the afternoon. Maybe break from 13:00 - 15:30. 

No comments:

Post a Comment