After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Sunday 5 July 2020

Day 7 - Venlo - Deurne (Leiden -> Venlo trip)

Bicycle: 39 km
Train: 180 km
Riding time: 2:24 h
Total ascent: 78 m
Avg speed: 16.3 km/h
Route: Venlo - Deurne

Weather: Cloudy, headwind and drizzle (sometimes), 18 C


Yesterday I had reached my official and unofficial goal of this one week ride through the Netherlands. But today is Sunday. So one more day off before returning to work. 

My initial plan was to cycle towards Eindhoven and to take the train there. But already today in the morning it was clear that the wind would be against me and that potentially some rain could be coming my way too. So instead I followed a route back to Deurne, but on different paths than yesterday when I make the Deurne -> Venlo trip in the opposite direction. 

Out of Venlo I came through this strange park or maybe some kind of university campus. Not sure. 


After about 20 km, as usual, I had my first break. I found this bench alongside the way. As in the past days, I had brought some sandwiches from my breakfast. 


I have found that my ideal break schedule is to have a break approximately every 20 km. Sometimes it can be a rather short break. Other times longer. On this 7 day trip I actually always had sandwiches with me so didn't need to go to restaurants for lunch. Just for dinner. And unfortunately Dutch cuisine really isn't very good. I would say that apart from the breakfast in the B&B in Middelburg, I did never really have great, good food. Not even in the 4star hotel in Deurne. Probably yesterday evening in Venlo I could have had a chance, but I was tired and didn't want to go out for dinner. So just went to a Döner place close to the station (and the B&B) and ate in my room. Which was exactly what I wanted. 

But really I am missing the onsen. It is such a great invention to go off to an onsen after a day of riding. Relax in the waters and then have a hearty meal with a cold beer, before making the last few km to this nights accommodation. Pity onsen are not more widespread. 

After my lunch break today unfortunately it started to drizzle. Not strong enough to really call it rain. But still strong enough to get quiet wet. Shortly before crossing America... 



... I had briefly considered to go to the next railway station, which would have been only about 4 km away. But decided to continue in the rain/drizzle. Sometimes it stopped, sometimes it started again. Luckily on the last kilometers to Deurne station it had stopped and surprisingly although I had not donned my rain cape, my jersey and cycling shorts dried in time for my arrival at the train station, so I am not sitting in damp clothes here, but rather in smelly, sweaty ones. 


As a summary of 1 week cycling through the Netherlands, I can say: 
  • Landscape is a bit boring, even though I noticed some differences. 
  • Heavy headwind (as again today), isn't good fun 
  • I should have made shorter daily trips to be able to do also some sightseeing. Yes, I like cycling, but 7 days nothing else but cycling and eating is a bit boring. Maybe a better idea is to look for 1 or 2 bases and ride around, including some sightseeing. 
  • Even July can be cold. I hadn't brought my bicycle cap or cycling scarf, and both would have been nice (and are really lightweight) 
  • Cycle touring with the brompton is also in the Netherlands comfortable. Due to Corona, bicycles were not allowed on trains. But folding bicycles were. As of 1st of July they changed the rules again, and now you can again bring a normal bicycle on the train, but need to reserve first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment