After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Friday 3 July 2020

Day 5 - Baarle-Nassau - Deurne (Leiden -> Venlo trip)

Bicycle: 72.9 km
Riding time: 4:18 h
Total ascent: 83 m
Avg speed: 16.9 km/h
Route: Baarle-Nassau - Deurne

Weather: Cloudy, a bit sun and no rain, 18 C


Today was a relatively eventeless ride from Baarle-Nassau to my second convent hotel in this trip. 


Less forests than yesterday, a few more fields and a long ride along a channel. 


The channel is quite similar to the Vliet channel that links Leiden with Den Haag and Delft. But with much less boat traffic. Obviously today was a weekday (Friday) so not many recreational boat riders but also not a single transport ship. So maybe this channel is now outdated for transport. 


Following the entire time the LF route would have resulted in a 84 km ride. But after so many km in my legs from the previous days, I had planned also a somewhat shorter version. Unfortunately that went right through Helmond and from there along a rather major road to Deurne. So the last 10/15 km weren't the nicest to ride. We are talking the Netherlands, so obviously there was ALWAYS a cycle path but even cycle paths alongside busy roads aren't really nice. But it brought me to my hotel a bit earlier so I had some rest time. But not enough time on catching up with the blog. This here I am writing while waiting for my dinner. But the blog post for Day 3 is still waiting to be even drafted. At least I got cleaned up the one for Day 4 in the afternoon. 

The shortcut through Helmond however brought me to these cube houses, by the same architect as the more famous ones in Rotterdam. 


Good thing tomorrow is a quite short ride. 55 km along hopefully scenic paths to Venlo. Actually if I would just take the shortest path, Venlo is only 36 km away. But no reason to cut things short tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment