After riding 2 months through Japan in autumn of 2017, I am now back in Europe, working... but still riding on my brompton whenever possible. Currently this is mainly in the Netherlands, close to home. But hopefully other countries will join the list.

Wednesday 19 August 2020

Hilly NLs - Day 2 - Wahlwiller to Weert

Bicycle: 36 km
Car: 32 km
Riding time: 2:09 h
Total ascent: 239 m
Avg speed: 16.9 km/h
Route: Wahlwiller - Weert

Weather: Sunny and warm, but not so hot as feared, 23 C


Today weather forecast was saying that it would get quite hot from lunch time onwards, so we decided yesterday to get up early, have breakfast before 8:00 and get going on our hiking (husband) and cycling (me) adventure of the day before it would get too hot, at least for me, to move. Actually now sitting in the large park of the hotel (admittedly in the shade of some big oaks), it isn't actually that hot. Nice and summerly, but not scorching.

In order not to do just a round ride from the hotel, I went with my husband by car in his starting point for the hike, Wahlwiller and then cycled back from there. 

I had found yesterday on Route.nl a round ride of about 50 km from there... which I shortened into about 36 km... as I obviously wanted to come back to the hotel. 

It started with a small castle a few kilometers after the start. 

Apparently Limburg is very well known for its abundance of castles. And it is known for its beer. I first came through the factory of Brand ...

... and shortly after through Gulpen. Definitely want to go back to Gulpen to try their Urhop that I normally buy directly from the producer. But today that place was way too early on my route... not yet for a stop. I rode on, with a bit of up and down through the undulating landscape. 

One steep hill was too steep for me and my brompton at about 10%... but luckily it was also very short so I pushed my bike up and then had a view over the hills and valleys around. 

I know, in any other country, these views wouldn't be breathtaking, and I have definitely already climbed higher hills. But well, still amazed at these non-flat landscapes in the Netherlands.

A little bit further along on the wayside I spotted a supermarket, did some small shopping and then had a brussel waffle with raspberries in the shadow of a very nice tree, before heading back to the hotel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment